If you have never played poker, you probably have no idea where to begin. It was unlike the past when there were just a few variations. The game has several different variants now that it has gone global.
Moreover, with the advent of online poker games, you can play multiple easy games on the same platform.
As a beginner, you should always choose the most straightforward game to play to avoid a losing streak. Additionally, these games build your self-esteem and help you gain more experience.
Here, we’ll introduce you to some of the most enjoyable poker games that are not hard to learn. Let’s begin with the poker variation that is the simplest to learn.
Parent Variants of Poker
There are three main poker varieties. It is based on how the poker cards are dealt and how the betting is conducted.
- Draw poker: In this game, players deal with a full hand that is concealed and have the option to replace any cards with fresh ones drawn from the deck. A five-card draw is an illustration of this.
- Stud poker: During numerous betting rounds, a preset combination of cards is dealt face-up and face-down. 5-card stud and 7-card stud are instances of this type. Be aware that there are further variations for these games.
- Community card poker: This variation combines shared face-up cards with each player’s incomplete hidden poker hands. In essence, you are dealt a hand of two or more cards and a set number of community cards, which you must combine to form a hand of five cards.
The two best examples of this variation are Texas Hold’em and Omaha.
5 Easy Poker Games for Beginners
Three Card Poker
It’s an entertaining casino game that’s also relatively easy to learn. It differs slightly from other traditional poker games in that it is played against the dealer.
All forced bets are placed to start this simple game, and then the dealer and each player are dealt three cards. The players can place a bet equal to their ante or fold. After then, bets are settled, and the hands are revealed.
It is easy to understand, so it is becoming increasingly popular in online poker. You should give it a shot and see if it is for you.
Texas Hold’em is the best poker game to start with if you want to play online.
The dealer in this game shuffles a conventional 52-card deck. Each player receives two cards at the beginning of the game, known as “Hole cards,” and the two players to the dealer’s left are required to put their hands up. The play is then resumed clockwise.
The dealer deals with three community cards after the first round is over. Each player can use these to form the ideal combination and then make the appropriate move, such as folding, calling, raising, or betting.
After this, the fourth community card is laid on the table to start the second round.
Before the fifth community card is dealt, each player is given another opportunity to take action. The player with the best 5-card winning hand or the one remaining at the end wins the pot after the rounds.
Each player in this game is dealt four hole cards instead of just two like in Texas Hold’em, and they each have to use only two of those cards.
The betting rounds in Omaha poker resemble those in Texas Hold’em almost precisely. There are several ways to play the game, including Omaha High, Omaha Hi-Lo, and Omaha 8-or-better.
- Omaha High: This variation is identical to Texas Hold’em except for the difference in the number of hole cards each player receives. Both players here attempt to win with their strongest hands.
- Omaha Hi-Lo: The rules are the same, but you can win the pot by making both the lowest and highest hands in this variation. The pot and the money shared between them can be won by either of these hands.
- Omaha 8-or-better: The best high hand and the best low hand share the pot. A low hand consists of five cards with rankings of eight or lower. Without such a hand, the pot is won by the highest ranking.
Razz does not follow the same rules as traditional poker games. To win, the participants must create the worst hand combination imaginable. The person holding the lowest card makes the first wager after each player has placed their ante.
The game is won by the player who makes the lowest five-card combination. The ace is a strong low card, and the lowest possible combination is A, 2, 3, 4, or 5.
2-7 Triple Draw
It illustrates a draw poker variation. Players can remove undesirable cards from the game board and swap them out for fresh cards from the deck, as explained in the section above.
The objective of this game is to finish with the lowest hand after four betting rounds. The lowest hand wins in a lowball variant used in this game.
There can be a maximum of six players. The dealer button is used, just like Texas Hold’em.
The multi-table and large-field tournaments are not covered on this page. It is because the most skilled players occasionally struggle with the game’s complexity.
These also cost a significant sum of money. Therefore, even while playing online, you should avoid these tournaments as a beginner if you don’t want to risk a lot of money.
Poker is a game of skill and chance, so practicing is necessary. You must frequently practice as a beginner if you want to improve as a player. Only after that can you engage in various games and gradually raise the pot total.
With practice, you will learn more poker strategies, understand poker hand rankings and learn good habits that can improve your game.
You can practice playing poker online at GGPoker, the world’s largest poker room. You can choose poker games there that are perfect for you, so what are you waiting for? Sign up at GG Poker today!